Powered By Blogger

Friday 26 September 2014

Organs Of The Body : Using Glenn Doman & Montessori Method

Chubs was 2.5yrs old, when he first saw his elder sister (DD2), working with the squishy organs of human body during one of our Science revision sessions at home. He gave me his puppy-eyed look and asked, "May I pwease pway (he meant - please play) with your new toy, mommy?" We now refer to our learning aids as materials, to help his younger brother respect them better. Lil' dragon_boi is still learning to treat our resources a little better. Still a work-in-progress.

During the time, I was trying out Glenn Doman's card-flashing method. Actually more to just showing really because I can't flash cards to save a life. He has worked with the theme on Organs of the Body back then. So I told chubs I would let him have a go, after Science revision with his sister ended for that evening.

He was in awe seeing the organs, body parts and bones in 3D version, right before his eyes.

In Montessori's Sensitive Period, we learn that a child will show peaked interest in a particular subject during certain phases of his growth especially during the 1st to the 3rd year and/or during the 3rd year to the 6th year. This sensitivity to learning should not be overlooked else his ability to expand his interest in a certain subject or his opportunity to refine a particular ability; may be stunted.

Working in depth on the object of a child's fascination during a child's sensitive period, empowers him with an innate desire to learn.

For chubs, using the Glenn Doman method first worked on his memory skills when he was just learning the names of the organs of the body. That was just the beginning.

The Montessori approach encourages hands-on learning and via multi-sensory ways to help a child learn in a positive learning environment. Seeing the material piqued chubs' interest even more. He couldn't stop working on it sometimes at an hour stretch and he kept requesting to work on the material every day from then on. I knew, it was the right time. It was Chubsy's sensitive period for learning more about the human body.

This sensitive period catapulted his learning absorption by heaps! He asked questions... not just asking where the organs go but what does each do for the body (functions) and even tried applying his knowledge from what he has in his doctor's kit to work which part of our body.

Although this will be covered in the Upper Block ie. Primary 4-6 Science curriculum, I'm happy I was around to guide him, when I first observed his keen interest in it. As it would have been a waste had I missed this window of heightened interest in learning.

Lil' dragon_boi being the younger brother and the youngest in our family naturally looks up to his brother a lot, though he often fervently denies it (much to our amusement)! When lil' dragon_boi asked if he could join us in our fun 'playing' session with the squishy organs of the body, I was moved to tears when chubs responded almost exactly as to how I first invited him to work with it. He was patient, lovingly showed his lil' baby brother how to hold the tweezers and the forceps... helped the baby remember the names of the organs and chuckled gently when the baby fumbled over the intricate equipment or any of the body parts... and even consoled his brother, "It's okay, baby.. you can try again.."

I had two girls before I had my wonderful boys. While I've taught boys during my teaching days before, I never knew having boys of my own was going to be so much fun.

My boys bring me so much joy, my heart aches..





Budsy's special note : 

For parents who are practicing flashing of cards using Shichida and/or the Glenn Doman method, rest assured there will be no/little confusion, even if you were to pair up your practices with the Montessori Method. In my personal opinion and from my personal experiences with my children, the methods in their own uniqueness; complement one another to further strengthen your child's holistic ability towards learning. Your child CAN have the best of both right-brain and left-brain stimulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment